1.23.2013

go-to

My mom gave me Dinner: A Love Story for Christmas and I've loved reading her stories and recipes on family dinners.

While perusing one Sunday for my weekly menu, I stumbled upon our new go-to recipe for a quick delicious dinner: Baked Sausage with Apples, Potatoes and Onions.  I had all the ingredients already (frozen chicken/apple sausage from costco!), so I thought I'd give it a try since my guy is a meat and potato guy.
Her recipe is below, but I made the following changes... 2 chicken/apple sausages, large chunks of half an onion (T doesn't like onions), chopped up yukon gold potatoes and dried thyme.  Usually an amount of everything for 2 people.  We top with spicy brown mustard and it is marvy.





Baked Sausage with Apples, Potatoes, and Onions
Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large baking dish, toss 2 cups small whole unpeeled potatoes (or 3 to 4 medium potatoes chopped), 1 medium onion (chopped artlessly in chunks), and leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh thyme with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, then toss in 2 to 3 apples (unpeeled, preferably baking apples such as Cortland, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Northern Spy) that have been cut into large chunks, and 4 uncooked sweet Italian sausages (about 1 pound). Turn heat down to 400°F and bake another 30 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar into vegetables. Serve with dollops of grainy or Dijon mustard.

2 comments:

mary-kathryn herrington said...

Oh wow! Lewis would love that! I may have to make that soon...

Audrey said...

I can vouch for the tastiness of this dish! It's so easy!