First of all, my 16-miler this past weekend was great!  I planned and prepared [mentally], and I got it done on a beautiful fall day.  The furthest I've ever run in my life [up to this point].  I had a great course, started at Leslie's ran through High Point, back to my parents house for my first water stop, where I saw little brother Scottie waiting for me with ice cold water. Thanks buddy!

This was about mile 5.5, and I took/ate my first Gu of the day.  Jesse told me about the Gu Roctane and that it "rocked" her run [ha!], so I tried it out and it was awesome. Really. 

What was not awesome was the flavor, texture, chewing of this gel substance, but Scottie had ice cold water waiting for me to wash it down. Sidenote: he was curious about this stuff, so I made him try a dabble, he gagged.

So now I'm just truckin' along, feelin' great, the knees are great, the body is great, and I'm just enjoying my tunes and the weather.  Next stop, Leslie's house for water before I hit the Greenline for the long-haul.  Got to her house around mile 8.5, and she had ice cold water and my Luna bar waiting for me.  I also grabbed my chews, which are also great to give you a little energy boost [not like roctane though].
 Now onto the Greenline for the remaining 7 miles.  The Greenline is awesome, people are riding bikes, walking dogs, strolling children, running, and it definitely kept me entertained the whole time, and I knew I was getting to see T at mile 10.5.  Go to Leslie's blog to read about her post from the Greenline Opening Party.  I was still feeling great (from roctane and luna bar I had eaten), and I was loving the weather and the atmosphere.

Hi T!  I was so happy to see him because I was very ready for some Gatorade and water, along with the 2nd Gu (just regular this time).  He made sure my knees were doing ok, and that I was feeling good.  It had already been almost 2 hours at this point, and the next time I would see him I would be done and at Shelby Farms.

Ran past some more happy people enjoying their Saturday, still listening to some good tunes, and then around mile 13, I reached Shelby Farms!  It is cool how they connected the Greenline into Shelby Farms, so I enjoyed the mystery of how I would be getting to Patriot Lake.  Got to the lake around mile 14.5, so just 1.5 mile left!! I can do this!         No I can't. Wall=hit.  It got harder this last mile and a half.  I was definitely getting sore, but it hurt to walk.  I was ready to finish.  

I made my way around the lake and I did it.  I ran a full 16 miles. Yipee! T was waiting for me with the rest of my Gatorade and water, and I sat and talked to him about my run.  It really was a great experience and made me not as nervous for the marathon [even though I would have 10 MORE MILES TO GO].

I know I can do this, I'm doing it for a great memory and for a great cause.

Last thing, one of the [many] reasons I love my job... I get to see flowers open up in one day.  Look how pretty!


Anonymous said...

Good job Martha!

ultralove said...


Aaron said...

Proud of you girlfriend. You're more of a woman than me!

Ellen said...

You are amazing!!

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.